Friday, February 17, 2012

King Cake Cupcakes


Admittedly, I do not have much experience with King Cake. I made one for a Super Bowl party a few years ago when the Saints were playing but that is as far as King Cake and I go back.


However when I offered to bring dessert to a Mardi Gras themed dinner with my girlfriends, of course there was nothing more appropriate than King Cake. While they traditionally use yeast and have more of a coffee cake texture, I decided to go the cupcake direction while trying to mimmick the overall flavor complete with the filling (my favorite part!) These were a hit last night so I wanted to share the recipe in case you are feeling festive and want to join in the celebration!

King Cake Cupcakes

Ingredients:
For the cupcake:
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup melted butter
Replace amount of water indicated on box with milk
Add 1 additional egg to the amount of eggs the box calls for
1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the filling:
8 oz. Nuefchatel cheese, softened (may use cream cheese if preferred)
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of one lemon*
For the glaze:
2 cups confectioners sugar
A few tablespoons milk
1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla
Juice of one lemon*

*May omit lemon and replace with cinnamon in the filling if preferred.

Directions:

Preheat oven to temperature indicated on cake mix box. Combine cake mix with melted butter, milk, eggs and cinnamon. Spoon batter into lined muffin tins, about 3/4 full. Bake as indicated on box. Allow to cool.

Once cooled, take a knife and cut a small cone shape out of the center of each cupcake. Blend the neufchatel, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest on medium until fluffy. Fill a pastry or Ziploc bag with the mixture. Snip the end of the bag off and fill the cupcakes.


To make the glaze, combine confectioners sugar with vanilla and lemon juice. Drizzle in milk until you achieve desired consistency. (I did not want mine too thin and would compare its consistency to that of maple syrup.) Spoon the mixture over each cupcake. Decorate as desired.


Laissez les bons temps rouler!

2 comments:

  1. Amy I love these! Your talent is unending! I really want to get together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had a King Cake before, but yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete