Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Get in Shape Girl!


I am not a person who loves to work out. I took dance lessons the majority of my childhood/teenage years but I don’t think I once went on a run aside from the annual required mile in P.E. I can probably count the number of times I went to the gym in college on my two hands. I’ve never been the heaviest person and never the smallest. I’ve gained the better part of thirty pounds in my adult life three times and have lost it twice (I’ve been half-heartedly working on that third time around for a few years now.)

Post-college I’ve gone to the gym on and off, spent a lot of time walking and a little time running. I’ve always belonged to a gym, but most years it seemed more like a monthly donation. :) In the year leading up to my wedding I joined a fitness boot camp and lost about thirty pounds for the second time (the first time had more to do with dieting) however showering at the local YMCA after a 6 a.m. workout just didn’t work for me long term. Another problem? I didn’t enjoy those workouts. They were necessary and effective, but my heart was not into them for the long haul.

Over the years I have learned that there are two things that work for me when it comes to exercise – accountability and enthusiasm. I am not an at-home video girl and need the accountability component of other people in the room (not to mention people who ask me where I’ve been when I miss a class.) And I have to like what I’m doing.

Two days into 2012 I joined a new gym close to where I live and started attending their Zumba classes. I’ve tried these classes in the past but just never gave them a real shot. The past few months have been a different story. Going to the classes consistently has enabled me to learn some of the routines, making the hour fly by instead of me watching the clock. I’ve made friends along the way who fill the important role of asking me where I’ve been when I miss a night and thanks to a few excellent instructors, I have managed to have a lot of fun. It’s to the point where my day does not seem complete without an hour of Zumba. I will never be the best in the room but trust me, it doesn’t matter. It’s all about moving and having a good time. I feel better than I have in a long time and make better eating choices as a result. Yes I have lost a few pounds this year, but I am mostly proud that being active makes me an all-around healthier person.

My point in telling you this? That when it comes to exercising, it’s all about finding what you love. For some that may be running and others it’s lifting weights. Whatever it may be, consistency will pay off. Zumba has reminded me of how much I love to dance and has created a wonderful outlet. Time that I used to dedicate to watching TV has now been reallocated to doing something positive (sorry Bravo!) Here’s to me keeping up what I’ve started this year. Wish me luck!

What works for you when it comes to exercising?? I would love to hear!

PS - In an ironic twist one of my favorite instructors is also an aspiring cake decorator! You can follow her along on her journey here.

1 comment:

  1. Yay Zumba! And also? I'd say you're definitely one of the yes tin the room.

    For me, accountability makes a big difference when I'm exercising. Like my once a week appointments with my trainer. Even on my laziest of weeks, I still go to those because another person is counting on me. And, of course, now you. Meeting someone to workout with has made a big difference for me. I totally would have skipped class tonight, except I told you I'd be there. Not that it really mattered that I went, like your night would have been fine either way, but still. It helps keep me pushing myself to get out the door.

    Either that, or plan a trip to Mexico with a skinny friend. Works like a freaking charm. Ha.

    ReplyDelete